Wednesday, July 1, 2009

50 Movies for 50 States


Excuse my absence...I have GOT to get a new laptop! Mine is officially dead, so I use Mark's old desktop, which is in our un-air-conditioned den. Add five weeks of 100+ degree heat and you get almost no blogging from Leslie.

Anyway, here's a fun list/interactive map from Rotten Tomatoes, my favorite and most trusted source for movie reviews (along with Netflix user ratings). In celebration of July 4, the site chose movies that they feel best represent each of the states in the US. Before I started clicking around, I though, what are they going to do about obscure states like South Dakota and Wyoming and Delaware? Little did I know (or little did I remember, I should say, having seen all these), Dances with Wolves, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Fight Club are set in those states respectively.

Some of my faves from the list:

Oregon: The Goonies
Kansas: The Wizard of Oz (obviously)
Georgia: Gone with the Wind (obviously)
Alabama: Fried Green Tomatoes
Idaho: Napoleon Dynamite
Illinois: Blues Brothers
Ohio: Bye Bye Birdie
West Virginia: We Are Marshall
North Dakota: Fargo (obviously)
New Jersey: Clerks

And of special note, New Hampshire gets "On Golden Pond," a GREAT movie starring Katharine Hepburn and Peter Fonda in the late years of their careers (1981). It's a tearjerker but a must see. I saw it with my grandparents when I was young and it has stayed with me for years. Bring lots of tissues.

Georgia gets the picture for this post because I miss it. Lots.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back!

    PS - If you were still in Georgia you would only be into week two of heat straight outta hell. :-)

    ReplyDelete